Job Title: Camp Teacher/Environmental Educator
Camp Details: See www.commongroundct.org to read about our camp. The camp instagram at https://www.instagram.com/commongroundcamp/ is full of pictures and videos that give a great idea of what a Common Ground summer might look like.
Currently seeking head teachers, teachers, and assistant teachers!
Camp staff work on a team of two teachers, one assistant teacher, and two high school-aged counselors to have amazing adventures with a group of 24 campers! Campers are divided by age, so staff who have expertise with a certain age group are welcome.
Teachers work together to plan activities that range from cooking to fort building and stream stomping to nature arts. Looking for folks who have big hearts, love kids, and want to spend their summer active and outside. Teachers do not need to have expertise in all program areas, but all teachers must be ready to get dirty, be active, be highly responsible, and have fun with children for all the hours they are at camp.
Specific duties for all camp teachers and head teachers include:
- Support our camp mission and culture through thoughtful participation in camp staff week and staff meetings with the goal of creating a safe, memorable, educational camp experience for our diverse camp community.
- Create and lead activities that are in line with the mission of the camp. Ideas and resources will be provided, and staff will have time to develop these activities in collaboration with their staff team during staff training week.
- Supervise & interact with campers during recreation and lunch times
- Supervise & direct teenage & Jr counselors
- Assure physical/emotional safety of all participants, including proactive behavior management and rendering basic First Aid.
- Contribute to facility maintenance and care for program materials as needed at the end of each camp day.
Head Teacher positions may be open for summer 2019. Head teachers manage the big picture of scheduling and activities for their group, interact daily with camp parents, lead lessons and activities, are the point person for medical and social/emotional needs for children in their group, and meet daily with their staff team to plan and problem solve.
Assistant teachers play an essential role in making sure the needs of our campers are met each day! Assistant teachers serve as an additional helper in hands-on activities, provide one-on-one support to campers as needed, and help ensure an overall great day for their camp team. Assistant teachers do not have daily responsibility for planning or leading activities.
- Camp dates are June 24 – August 9, 2019 (including staff training week).
- Camp staff must be available for ALL dates – it is not possible to takes days or weeks off.
- Head teachers and teachers work Mon – Fri from 8:00 AM –4:00 PM
- Assistant teachers work Mon – Fri from 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM OR Mon – Fri from 2:30 PM – 6
Location: Common Ground, 358 Springside Ave, New Haven, CT 06515
- Experience working with groups of children in formal or informal settings (school, nature center, summer camp, scouts, etc). Paid experience with small groups of children (as a nanny or babysitter, for example) will be considered, however experience with groups of 10 or more children is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Enthusiasm for exploring nature with children. Basic knowledge of the natural world is preferred, but not required.
- Experience (personal or professional) with one or more program activity areas is welcomed. Seeking staff with expertise in camp songs and games, leading music with children, gardening, farm care, hiking and outdoor adventure, naturalist skills, cooperative games, nature arts, cooking with children, and outdoor adventure!
- Willingness to get dirty and work hard in all weather (including summer heat & humidity and/or rain)
- Ability to be physically active for most of an 8 hour day
- Demonstrated commitment, reliability, punctuality, and responsible behavior at previous jobs
- All applicants who love nature and children are welcome and encouraged – our typical camp staff represent a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Common Ground is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: $12 – $17.25/hour, depending on position
- Step 1: Complete the online application HERE.
- Step 2: Email a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in our programs and your relevant experience to Rebecca Holcombe, Camp Director: email@example.com
- Interviews will be scheduled with qualified applicants who have completed both steps in the application process.
- Applications accepted until positions are full. Interviews begin in February 2019.
Common Ground is committed to a policy of equal opportunity/affirmative action for all qualified persons. Common Ground does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability (including, but not limited to, intellectual disability, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. Common Ground does not unlawfully discriminate in employment and licensing against qualified persons with a prior criminal conviction