Job Title: Assistant Manager of Facilities and Grounds
Common Ground is a center for environmental learning and leadership in New Haven, Connecticut where a diverse community of children, young people, and adults cultivate habits of healthy living and sustainable environmental practice. Farm meets forest meets city on Common Ground’s 20 acre campus at the base of West Rock Ridge. The site abuts the 1500 acre West Rock State Park, sharing hiking trails, wildlife, and diverse natural habitats with the surrounding forests. Common Ground’s Charter High School uses the site as an organizing principle of its curriculum which is guided by an ecological framework highlighting the connection and interdependence of all living and non-living things. Each year, more than 6,000 community members participate in festivals, field trips, after-school programs, and other educational opportunities on site. Common Ground follows organic growing practices, avoiding the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers on site. For more information on Common Ground, see www.commongroundct.org.
Help keep Common Ground’s site and facilities beautiful, welcoming and functional for the Common Ground community! Common Ground’s Assistant Manager of Facilities and Grounds assists the Site Manager with the care, upkeep and maintenance of Common Ground’s site and facilities in order to ensure they effectively meet all of Common Ground’s programmatic needs.
The Assistant Manager of Facilities and Grounds interacts regularly with the public, and will often be assisted by volunteers and students in the performance of his or her duties.
The Assistant Manager of Facilities and Grounds is a full-time, year-round, 40 hour per week position reporting to the Site Manager. Due to the nature of the work, the Assistant Manager of Facilities and Grounds will be required to work flexible hours. Some weekend work will be required.
Position responsibilities include:
• Performing regular maintenance and repair of all buildings including as necessary painting, minor plumbing repairs, etc.
• Assisting Site Manager in keeping HVAC systems properly operating, maintained and repaired.
• Helping maintain all landscaped areas including mowing, weeding, mulching, watering, feeding, etc.
• Pruning, trimming and removing trees, brush and invasives as necessary.
• Planting and landscaping of newly cultivated areas as required.
• Maintaining sufficient cut wood for program use, including splitting and stacking wood from tree felling on site
• Maintaining paths and outdoor assembly areas including hauling and spreading woodchips as necessary.
• Overseeing Spring cleanup, Fall leaf removal and Winter snow clearing.
• Overseeing upkeep and repair of sidewalks, parking lots, catch basins, fences, planters, benches, sheds, tents, camping platforms, and other site improvements.
• Addressing potential site related hazards to ensure the safety of staff and program participants.
• Assisting with the management of Common Ground’s waste management systems, both indoors and outdoors, including trash, recycling and composting.
• Assisting with setting up and staffing festivals and events during the year as necessary.
• Performing site improvements to better meet program needs.
• Helping reconfigure the site to meet the seasonal needs of programs.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
• Maintenance and repair of grounds-keeping equipment including weed-whackers, mowers, etc.
• Maintenance and repair of the tractor and utility vehicles.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Familiarity with general landscaping and plant care.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Independent and self-motivated.
• Enjoys working outdoors.
• Excellent time-management and organizational skills.
• Able to set priorities, and develop and execute plans to achieve desired results.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Works well with others. Comfortable working as a member of a team.
• Personable: Comfortable engaging with the public.
• Experience working with youth.
• Eager to learn and willing to try new things.
• Able to think strategically and see the big picture.
• Computer proficient, Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.), and google docs.
• Comfortable using email and texting to communicate.
• Able to lift 50 pounds and engage in strenuous physical activity.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Common Ground High is committed to a policy of equal opportunity/affirmative action for all qualified persons. Common Ground does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability (including, but not limited to, mental retardation, past or present history of mental disability, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. Common Ground does not unlawfully discriminate in employment and licensing against qualified persons with a prior criminal conviction.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.