Common Ground High School — the nation’s oldest environmental charter high school, creating the next generation of successful college students and powerful community and environmental leaders — is seeking a Full-time Teaching Assistant (TA).
The Common Ground Teaching Assistant will have the opportunity to work in a truly diverse learning community in which 215 students from 18 different towns experience a mix of high academic standards, active learning and leadership opportunities, and small school supports that are producing dramatic educational results.
The TA is responsible for supporting teachers in the classroom during the school day, providing targeted supports in academic labs both during and after school, and assisting with summer academic programs.
Primary responsibilities of the TA are as follows:
- Assisting teachers with instruction in the classroom six periods a day. Providing intervention support and after school supports.
- Providing targeted supports to students in academic labs both during and after school
- Assisting with planning and delivery of summer school for four weeks in the summer
Additional TA responsibilities:
- Assist with collaterals
- Provide substitute coverage throughout the school year as needed
- Provide support to administrative staff as needed
- Attend school assemblies and functions, parent events, and weekly staff meetings
- College Degree preferred
- Experience supervising and working with youth
- Experience in the field of education; preferably in a public school setting.
- Knowledge of Common Core State Standards
- Demonstrated belief that all students can achieve at a high level
- Good communication skills
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty and staff. Common Ground has a commitment to examining the intersection of social, environmental, and food justice issues; how systems of oppression, including white privilege, impact the organization’s work; and how resistance to those systems can offer windows into a more sustainable society.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.
To apply, Please send cover letter and resume to:
Common Ground High School
358 Springside Ave., New Haven, CT 06515
Leave A Comment