Common Ground High School seeks a part time School Nurse, 4-5 hours/day, Monday through Friday.
Overall responsibilities include the following:
• Facilitate routine health screenings
• Maintain student health records
• Provide student consultations while on campus.
• Other duties as outlined in responsibilities below
The School Nurse responsibilities include:
• Implementing program objectives
• Collecting data regarding the health and developmental status of the individual
• Identifying and evaluating individual chronic health needs and referring as appropriate
• Assessing and making referrals for injuries (including first aid) and acute illnesses
• Coordinating and implementing mandated screening tests
• Discussing and counseling students and parents/guardians on findings and implications of health assessment/screenings
• Administering medication and providing specialized physical health care procedures as prescribed
• Communicating with parents/guardians and health care providers regarding student’s response to medication and procedures
• Collaborating with evaluation/intervention teams to discuss and plan for health, safety and educational needs of individual students in the school community
• Providing health information/in-services in the schools and community
• Maintaining school health and immunization records
• Responsibility for the training and supervising of the administration of medication by school personnel
• Responsibility for the training and delegating of specialized physical health care to other school personnel
• Collaborating with other health care providers and educators to identify, design, implement, and evaluate health curriculum
• Assuming responsibility for pursuing continued professional growth and development through education and national certification
• Participating in research concerning school and community, including the collection of health data, evaluation and outcomes
• Acting as an advocate for the health rights of individuals and their families in the school setting and community at large
The School Nurse adheres to and incorporates the Standards of School Nursing Practice while performing his/her responsibilities, as adopted by the National Association of School Nursing.
• Possession of a valid, current Registered Nurse license issued by the State of Connecticut
• Graduation from an accredited National League of Nursing (N.L.N.) program with: a Bachelor of Science Degree in nursing, or a diploma from a three-year hospital school of nursing, or an Associate Degree in nursing
• Two years full time employment in nursing within the past five years, preferably one year in public health, pediatric or emergency room nursing or related specialty
• Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification
• Valid and current Connecticut driver’s license
• Knowledge and understanding of the principles, practices and techniques of professional nursing, including growth and development of school-aged child and youth
• Ability to provide direction and guidance to others on the health team
• Knowledge of current community health issues
• Knowledge of functions and services of other community agencies and resources
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty and staff. Common Ground has a commitment to examining the intersection of social, environmental, and food justice issues; how systems of oppression, including white privilege, impact the organization’s work; and how resistance to those systems can offer windows into a more sustainable society.
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Keith Johnston, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.