Common Ground is a center for environmental learning and leadership in New Haven, Connecticut where a diverse community of children, young people, and adults cultivate habits of healthy living and sustainable environmental practice. Farm meets forest meets city on Common Ground’s 20 acre campus at the base of West Rock Ridge. The site abuts the 1500 acre West Rock State Park, sharing hiking trails, wildlife, and diverse natural habitats with the surrounding forests. Common Ground’s Charter High School uses the site as an organizing principle of its curriculum which is guided by an ecological framework highlighting the connection and interdependence of all living and non-living things. Each year, more than 6,000 community members participate in festivals, field trips, after-school programs, and other educational opportunities on site. Common Ground follows organic growing practices, avoiding the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers on site.
The Assistant Facilities Manager is an integral member of Common Grounds Facilities Management Team with responsibility for the care, upkeep and maintenance of Common Ground’s facilities. The Assistant Facilities Manager will supervise part time custodial staff. The Assistant Facilities Manager is a full time, year round 40-hour per week position with benefits who reports to Common Ground’s Site Manager Work hours will generally run from noon until 8 pm with some weekend hours required.
Assistant Facilities Manager responsibilities include:
- Ensure facilities are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and showers and restock disposables (e.g. soap)
- Wipe mirrors and windows
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.)
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm
- Assist Site Manager with other site tasks as needed (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
- Maintain all cleaning equipment in good working order
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all cleaning and bathroom supplies
- Restock cleaning and other disposable supplies as necessary
- Schedule part-time custodial staff as needed
- Assist with set-up and clean-up of all Common Ground events
- Conduct thorough cleaning of all floors, walls, windows, bathrooms and kitchens twice per year
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength to lift 40 lbs
Application deadline: open until filled
Mail, Fax or email your resume and a cover letter describing your relevant experience to:
Common Ground, attn: Betsy Sneath
358 Springside Ave
New Haven, CT 06515
Email: email@example.com Fax: 203-389-7458
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty and staff.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.
Leave A Comment