Thanks for your interest in working for Common Ground! This position has been filled. Please see our Join our Staff page for available opportunities.
Common Ground High School, founded in 1997, is the nation’s oldest environmental charter high school. We use our unique 20-acre campus as a laboratory to provide challenging, relevant learning experiences that develop academic excellence and prepare our students for college. With only 165 students, Common Ground is able to challenge and support each individual as they attain the knowledge and skills they need to be engaged citizens, powerful environmental leaders, and successful college graduates. Over 90% of Common Ground students go on to college, bringing with them the unique perspective that comes from the mix of real world experience, small school support, environmental awareness, learning through leadership and consistently high academic expectations provided by Common Ground High School.
A Teaching Assistant position is responsible for supporting teachers in the classroom during the school day, providing targeted supports in academic labs both during and after school, and assisting with summer academic programs. Responsibilities of the TA are as follows:
- Assisting classroom teacher with instruction 3 periods a day. Support can include individual small group instruction, facilitation of on-task behavior, and conducting formative assessment ,co-planning and co-teaching. The specific role of the TA in the class should be worked out and agreed upon by the Lead Teacher and Teaching Assistant.
- Providing intervention support directly in academic labs/supports and after school supports. This includes large group or small group intervention support during the school day and after school, as well as preparing and delivering instruction during lab/support time, taking attendance, and helping with coverage.
- Summer responsibilities include assisting with planning and delivery of summer academic camps for academic recovery and incoming freshman.
- Assist with collaterals, including supervision of common areas during lunch, passing times, and after school at the bus stop.
- Provide substitute coverage throughout the school year as needed, including subbing for teacher coverage during meetings and guidance
- Provide support to administrative staff as needed
- Attend data team meetings when possible to ensure supports efforts align with school day/after school departmental goals and strategies.
- Communicate directly with teachers and other supporting staff.
- Check work-related communication, including e-mail
The TA will report to the Assistant Director of Leadership and Learning and Student Affairs Manager
- College Degree preferred
- Experience supervising and working with youth
- Experience in the field of education; preferably in a public school setting.
- Knowledge of Common Core State Standards
- Demonstrated belief that all students can achieve at a high level
- Good communication skills
No tobacco, controlled drugs or alcohol permitted on campus. Tutor is expected to represent Common Ground High School at all times. Appropriate workplace attire must be worn: No hats, hoods, durags, bandannas or headbands; no revealing clothing; no tank tops, camisoles, short shorts, pajamas or slippers; no clothing in disrepair or that has messages which reference drugs, alcohol, tobacco, sex, sexual orientation or hate speech that demeans people of a certain race, religion, culture or sexual orientation. It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability. It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.
Salary: 16.63 per hour
Teaching assistant is a part time position. Hours are generally Monday – Friday 12:30-3:30. Some weekend and night work will be required. This position is subject to a 30-day probationary period. A formal review will be conducted at the end of the 30-day period.
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates that help us fulfill our commitment to building a genuinely diverse staff.
At Common Ground, a diverse community of 180 students from 16 different towns experiences a mix of high academic standards, active learning and leadership opportunities, and small school supports that are producing dramatic educational results. More than 93% of our students are accepted to college, and 100% are growing into powerful environmental and community leaders.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Keith Johnston, Assistant School Director
Common Ground High School
358 Springside Ave., New Haven, CT 06515