WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION. PLEASE SEE OUR JOIN OUR STAFF PAGE FOR CURRENT OPENINGS.
Common Ground High School, founded in 1997, is the nation’s oldest environmental charter high school. We use our unique 20-acre campus as a laboratory to provide challenging, relevant learning experiences that develop academic excellence and prepare our students for college. With only 195 students, Common Ground is able to challenge and support each individual as they attain the knowledge and skills they need to be engaged citizens, powerful environmental leaders, and successful college graduates. Over 90% of Common Ground students go on to college, bringing with them the unique perspective that comes from the mix of real world experience, small school support, environmental awareness, learning through leadership and consistently high academic expectations provided by Common Ground High School. At Common Ground, a truly diverse community of 195 students from 16 different towns experiences a mix of high academic standards, active learning and leadership opportunities, and small school supports that are producing dramatic educational results.
The part time (29 hours per week) Teaching Assistant (TA) position is responsible for supporting Math teachers in the classroom during the school day, providing targeted supports in academic labs both during and after school, and assisting with four week summer school in 2018.
Responsibilities of the TA are as follows:
- Assisting classroom teacher with instruction a minimum of 3 periods a day. Support will include individual small group instruction, facilitation of on-task behavior, and conducting formative assessment, co-planning and co-teaching. The specific role of the TA in the class should be worked out and agreed upon by the Lead Teacher and Teaching Assistant within the first few weeks of the academic year and communicated to the Assistant Director.
- Providing intervention support directly in Math labs/supports. This includes large group or small group intervention support during the school day and after school, as well as facilitating instruction during lab/support time, taking attendance, and helping with coverage.
Additional TA responsibilities:
- Assist with collaterals, including supervision of common areas during lunch, passing times, and after school at the bus stop.
- Provide substitute coverage throughout the school year as needed, including subbing for teacher coverage during meetings and guidance
- Provide support to administrative staff as needed
- Attend all school assemblies and functions that happen during the day.
- Attend Family Night and Back to School Night in September
- Attend all Wednesday faculty meetings
- Communicate directly with teachers and other supporting staff.
- Check work-related communication, including e-mail
- Arrive on time to report to assigned classes and above-mentioned responsibilities.
- Attend at least two school evening events (to be decided by the Assistant Director or Student Affairs Manager.
College Degree preferred
Math teaching experience preferred
Experience supervising and working with youth
Experience in the field of education; preferably in a public school setting
Knowledge of Common Core State Standards
Demonstrated belief that all students can achieve at a high level
Good communication skills
Hourly wage commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Keith Johnston, Assistant Director
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty and staff.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.