Seeking Staff for Common Ground Summer Camps
Common Ground is seeking outstanding staff for our 2014 summer camps. The overall purpose of summer camp at Common Ground is to provide a diverse group of children with a fun, safe summer experience, emphasizing building friendships and developing an appreciation for the natural world. Campers will experience nature as a fun, exciting place to explore, and discover how people, food, and the environment are interconnected. Exceptional camp staff are essential to establishing and maintaining the friendly, educational, community atmosphere of Common Ground Camps.
Job Title: Camp Teachers/Environmental Educators
Visit our camp page to read about the specific activities in each of our camps. We are specifically seeking the following staff for summer 2014:
- Ecology Camp (ages 6 – 12): seeking staff who will specialize in one of the following: Animal care, Gardening , Cooking from the farm, Nature & recycled arts, Science/nature knowledge, Hiking & outdoor skills, Cooperative games, Music.
- Farm to Feast Cooking Camp (ages 8 – 10): seeking staff who love to cook and have experience leading children in cooking activities. Knowledge of healthy, seasonal cooking with local farm ingredients is very helpful.
- Sprouts Camp (ages 4 – 5): seeking staff who have significant experience in a preK or kindergarten setting.
- Animal Adventures Camp (ages 7 – 10): seeking staff who have significant experience working with and educating others about domestic and/or wild animals.
- West Rock Rangers Camp (ages 10 – 13): seeking staff who have significant experience leading hikes and outdoor adventures for groups of youth. Familiarity with West Rock Park trails is helpful.
- Eco-Explorers Camp (ages 5 – 8): seeking staff who have significant experience with young children in a camp or educational setting.
- Camp dates are June 23 – August 10, 2014. Camp staff must be available for ALL dates – it is not possible to takes days or weeks off.
- Staff work Mon – Fri from 8:00 –4:00 with optional extended day hours available from 7:15 – 8:00 AM.
Common Ground, 358 Springside Ave, New Haven, CT 06515
Job Description for all positions
Specific activities will vary with the camp, however all camp teacher positions include:
- Support our camp mission and culture through thoughtful participation in camp staff week and staff meetings with the goal of creating a safe, memorable, educational camp experience for our diverse camp community.
- Create and/or learn lesson and activity plans; teach lessons and run activities
- Supervise & interact with campers during recreation and lunch times
- Supervise & direct teenage & Jr counselors
- Assure physical/emotional safety of all participants, behavior management
- Camp Teachers lead/participate in all camp activities, including hiking, active outdoor play, garden exploration, farm animal care, cooking, environmental science lessons, crafts, music, cooperative games, and more.
- Camp Teachers are responsible for developing activities. A large library of resources will be provided, and staff will have time to develop these activities in collaboration with their staff team during staff training week.
- Contribute to facility maintenance and cleaning as needed at the end of each camp day.
- Experience working with children in formal or informal settings (school, nature center, summer camp, scouts, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Interest in and basic knowledge of the natural world
- Willingness to get dirty and work hard in all weather (including summer heat & humidity and/or rain)
- Ability to be physically active for most of an 8 hour day
- Demonstrated commitment, reliability, punctuality, and responsible behavior at previous jobs
- All applicants who love nature and children are welcome and encouraged – our typical camp staff represent a wide range of ages and backgrounds
Based on education and experience, $15.00 – $16.50/hour, no benefits. Staff are paid every 2 weeks
- Email a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in our programs and your relevant experience to Rebecca Holcombe, Camp Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications accepted until positions are full. Interviews begin in February 2014.